View Single Post
Old 03-31-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
crbateman

Re: Why did almost all of K.Tohei's students establish independent ryuha?

Tohei Sensei actually has two groups which could be called his "senior students": There are those who were in Aikikai and came out with him, and then there are those who have been with him for practically the duration of KNK, but were not under Aikikai. Motivations for branching off from Tohei might vary between those two groups, although I think you'd have to ask the individuals themselves. I think also that it would be both unfair and incorrect to assume that those who have gone on to do their own thing did so because of some disagreement with Tohei Sensei. It may be simply that some wanted to concentrate on Aikido in the Ki Society style, without the additional training regimen relating to ki development, kiatsu, bell misogi, etc. that are part of the KNK program. I'm sure there are many other possible reasons, but I have been told of this particular rationale about more than one person who has made the move.

The best advice I can give you is to visit the various dojos you have to choose from, and make a decision based on what feels right to you, rather than worry about why somebody who belonged to the group twenty years ago no longer does. After all, ki is ki for everybody, and training in the principles is not exclusive of any single group.