View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #18
DonMagee
United_States
Re: I'm Leaving Aikido

After reading this again, I noticed a few more things that bother me about this. SO, I'm going to point them out (slow day here)
Quote:
Daniel Ranger-Holt wrote: View Post

After two years commited learning i feel the enviornment of the mat, the bowing, the measured, often slow mo attacks, and the spiritual aspect thats to heavily influenced the art, hasn't at all prepared me for real face to face confrontations and attacks.
The video you post below has the exact same kind of training in it. The exact same kind of techniques. How is the training method different?

Quote:

BJJ, Chinese Kickboxing, Judo, Muay Thai, out of all of them Krav Maga seems to be the most practical and simple. In barely a month i feel like i could do something. 2 years with Aikido and im still unsure...
If you still only 'feel' you can do something, your training methods are still lacking. I know exactly what I am capable of in any given situation. This is a common problem with the types of training you are seeking out, and why I stopped training krav maga. 'Feeling' is not good enough.

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ajaQ2j0Al0

skip to 1:48 if you dont want to watch the whole thing. But its this point in the video which really hit home, the boxes the arts are put in, and how if you just want to defend yourself, and learn as quickly as possible...how to defend yourself. Also the point earlier on the guy makes about its not pretty, meant to be flowing, but simply meant to defend you, so you can run...

anyway...
After watching that video, I fail to see how it is any different than the aikido I was taught. Except for they didn't wear gi.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein