View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #69
Alberto_Italiano
Re: your number one technique

Quote:
Geoff Byers wrote: View Post
But boxing is not a fight. It's a sport. In boxing, fair enough, perhaps you can, perhaps the range of options are so limited that one can learn what the opponent is going to do, though I suspect it would be more to do with noting general upper body movement than the eyes. In a fight, where there are no rules, his eyes will not tell you if he's going to pull a knife or try and club you with a bottle, if he's going to kick you or grab you, bite you or eye gouge you.
Unfortunately it seems very difficult to convey this to persons that have not been there. I realize this continuously. It is certainly my fault.

There is, for any given starting setting, only a definite set of following movements that the physical constraints impose. An arm can do only a limited set of movements, and combinations that have been proved as truly effective are routinely taught.

You must learn how to tell them beforehand.

You learn them only by experience, but once you have learned them, if you keep practicing, it is totally irrelevant what the hand is wielding: the physical constraints of a human body are always the same, no matter how furious his movements are or what is on their hands whether a naked or gloved hand or a bottle in it (if they have a gun however, we are on grounds I cannot deal with).

To a jab 90% of the times follows another jab, about 60% of the times a right.

It would be foolish to train in order to defend against an hook after a jab, because the odds you will see an hook coming after a jab are I'd say less than 1%.

It would be even more foolish, and actually truly dangerous, not to anticipate what is more likely to arrive on your face in order to "watch by his hands" what's coming next: I tell you, what is coming next after his jab is his right; and it will land on your face 100% of the times as you watch it arriving, if instead than anticipating it you want to wait in order to actually see it coming!

To an hook follows normally another hook, and yet you must anticipate also the possibility of an uppercut, if you lower to dodge.

If instead you stay there trying to "watch his hands" rather than anticipating what the physical constraints suggest, you will be hit many more times than you should. That's not what a guy who fights competently does: he never tries to see what you do, he is constantly continuously intent on anticipating you.

That is how it works when you fight competently: you anticipate, and at that point experience is all.

This is the first level of your initiation, and will take at least one year (for the most typical combinations at least), and eventually forever.

Then, there is a second stage. His eyes. This is why I said if you don't know this, don't venture into a fight: if you find a competent guy, he will beat you half dead and will turn your face into a mask of blood (ok ok, it's not true: it's my fantasy, ok. I am inventing I have seen movies ok...), depending on how much of a bastard he feels like to be, on how much of a bad day he had, and on how much fun he wants to have with you today...
I am very glad knowing that most of you have never met one.

Yet you realize this eye thing only after you have been sparring daily for at least one year.

I know that you deem boxing a nuisance, but that's because you have never seriously practiced it in order to fight in competitions: how can I tell? because you feel so about it... for no one who has boxed seriously and made competitions would ever think that it's gonna be a "sport" - the injuries and pains you go through will be telling enough to clear your mind of any idea that you may be practicing a "sport" in the same way swimming or horseriding or a picnic - or even aikido, for that matter- could be... your adversary wants your blood, he wants your mental incapacitation and eagerly and actively seeks it. People have died on rings, my friend.

If you're not used to those situations, don't go around chivalrously helping ladies in distress.

Actually, it is even more esoteric than this but only those who have been there may understand me so here I have just no hope that any of you may either understand or believe me.

If you fight daily, you eventually realize how your own postures are in any given emotional setting you experience (and this is why you need time, at least one year of daily sparring: in order to go through the whole gamut).

You must learn how you behave (in a fight) when you feel arrogant or overconfident, how you behave when you felt the hit but you are trying to disguise it, how you felt when he hit your liver squarely, how when he hit your spleen, how when he hit your ears, how when your jaw and how when your chin, how you slightly bent one of your ankles but it was just so slightly that you could tell only by a twitch on your shoulder and not by any sudden difference in height like it is when your ankle actually fails you, how you were trying to conceal you were about to run out of breath, how you behaved when you feared, how when you were about to mount up and to hit more furiously, how your gait was when you felt full of energies and how when you were feeling the first pangs and troubles - you go through the whole gamut of sensations and emotions you can experience while beating each other for good.

Once you have been through this, you have an invaluable asset, a treasure!
A treasure, my friend! A treasure!

By knowing how you behaved (and since you were feeling yourself, you were keenly aware even of the most minimal nuances of your behavior and postures and... even of the look of your own eyes yes! You self perceive yoruself!) you are much, infinitely better equipped to understand how your opponent will behave and to interpret even the slightest changes in his attitudes.
There will be times when you will read him like an open book. Precious!

You have a translitteration scroll. By knowing how you felt and how your body arranged itself accordingly to each given blow and pain and fear and emotion, you are now infinitely better equipped to interpret similar signs in your opponent, signs that you were totally uncognizant of before you went through this ordeal yourself.

You know your opponent by knowing yourself. I really don't know how to convey this. I guess that, sadly, you need to have been there. Aikido does not help you in this, and I always felt this as the most saddening difference when I see how most ukes behave.

It is not that you know your opponent. Actually, you know yourself. And this works wonderfully to know a good 50% more of what's going on in your adversary too - and I cannot tell you what a difference that can make! As much as between life and death.

It is true that persons behave differently, and yet they behave also similarly or we won't have shared DNA along with unique parts: we are all humans, not a few humans others tigers other mosquitoes and a few other dolphins.
What applies for me, has a value also for others.
In a serious fight this asset, this inheritance, may be critical.
Not having it, may spell disaster and death.

For how much a person may pose differently facing one same feeling, between knowing how you yourself did and not knowing it at all, spreads a gulf of differences that is immense and much more telling than the differences that can spread between what separates you and your opponent.

If you don't have this cognition, don't ever venture into a street fight - the fact you don't have these notions, that you don't even suspect how much telling the eyes of your adversary can be and that boxers who watch each other in the face for 15 rounds are not doing that because they are "falling in love" with each others, is not one reason less in order not to venture in a street fight where they may (I quote) «pull a knife or try and club you with a bottle, if he's going to kick you or grab you, bite you or eye gouge you»: it is indeed one reason more in order not to venture there!

Don't push your luck my friends!
For if you don't know this eye thing, and you don't know that you must know the possibile combinations enough to anticipate them, you're pushing your luck even if your fleeting successes in a couple of brawls my be hiding from you this critical factor.

My friends, you are playing with fire! You worry me!
No later than a few days ago we had in this forum a recount of a person who nearly killed someone in a street fight! With one punch, one of those things I warn against and that some deem not so dangerous after all. I have seen plenty of kids in their first boxing months feeling exhalted searching for troubles - we had our special way to fix that, for their own good.

And we read every day of guys dead after a punch, on newspapers.
My friends, don't go in any street fight, don't help damsels in alleged distress because you feel chivalrous. It's a dangerous business.

Quote:
Geoff Byers wrote: View Post
My personal impressions of watching a fight mean absolutely nothing. I could watch it on two different days and come to two totally different conclusions depending upon what I ate for lunch. Human observations cannot be trusted, we are renowned for being subjective. We see things not as they are, but as we are.
I think in the video it is clear (ar at least this was my hope) that when people who are competent fighters (I deem Hagler one, and Mugabi was as much as him), they watch each other right in the face, squarely. You never see anybody "watching hands" in orer to know "how he's beginning". That was meant to illustrate that point. .