View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
aiki-jujutsuka

Re: How does Aikido compare to Aiki-Jujutsu?

Quote:
Richard Stevens wrote: View Post
Ewen, the grip you are referring to (gakun) is similar to what you would feel from an Aikidoka applying a yonkyo technique. There is a particular member of the Indianapolis Aikikai who has done it to me and it is just as painful as Hobbs-Sensei's.

Some styles of Aikido feature kata training, but many seem to be more organic in their methods (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Hakko-Ryu..........Aikido..........Daito-Ryu

Shodan.......... .....Ikkyo.............Ikajo
Nidan..................Nikkyo...........Nikajo
Sandan...............Sankyo.........Sankajo
Yondan...............Yonkyo.........Yonkajo

Have you considered Yoshinkan? It may suit you well.
Thank you, this is most helpful. So Yonkyo relates to Yondan! On a superficial level my two favourite katas thus far are Nidan and Yondan. I have begun training in Nidan, which I will need for my last brown grading and my 1st dan but I've only had a taster of Sandan and Yondan. Thank you for correcting me on the gakun, I just couldn't think how to spell it.

As to the 'organic' nature of Aikido training, how often would you train in the above techniques? Do they correspond to dan grades as in AJJ or is it different? I don't really know much about the grading system in Aikido.

I know it sounds like I am very focussed on grading, which is just another means to an end not an end in itself but it's just that as a kyu grade I am rarely taught anything beyond Nidan and would really like more training in the latter techniques.