View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #223
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: 6 Directions

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
But a Stradivarius is still the benchmark for violins because it SOUNDS THE BEST. Anderson Silva is the new Heifetz and he doesn't train IP. However, Steven Seagal does, so there you go...

Yeah, I have a point- Silva is a "technique" guy, and he can slow down time. Where's your Dan Harden now???
Anderson Silva also took one on the chin and lost his title.

Anderson Silva is a professional fighter, whose job is to be strong, be fit and fight. And he is a fantastic technician, as are several other major fight names. And when he retires, he will open a gym and people will eventually say, "who?". Who knows, maybe in 50 years we'll also criticize his remarkable feats of talent as empty propaganda. Everyone knows UFC is fixed, right? (just kidding, for the record). In previous posts, I have discussed the role of expectation in making a commitment. I think for those of us who train, we cannot meet the expectation of performance similar to a guy like Anderson Silva. We do not possess the time, resources, and commitment to change our lives in a such a way as to meet that expectation.

So is your claim to identify Anderson Silva as the benchmark for expectation of performance? Do you feel that his commitment to train is consistent with your commitment? If not, then why is he an adequate representation of your expectation of skill?

Every time I watch Muhammad Ali fight, I think, "That guy was the best boxer ever." Then I remember who he is now. Earl Campbell was one of the best running backs to ever carry the football. Now he cannot walk, let alone run. I think we need to be considerate of what expectations we put forth so that we have a chance of meeting them. Otherwise, we end up comparing Bob Gibson to Nolan Ryan and we all know Nolan Ryan was the best pitcher ever. In either case, I will never pitch like Bob Gibson or Nolan Ryan.

I agree, Anderson Silva is a great fighter. I enjoy watching him fight because he represents a level of skill that I will not realize. That's why I watch a number of of athletics. The derogatory term "arm chair quarterback" is used to describe he who has not the talent to play, but the intellect to judge. In no way do I confuse my talent to lock a triangle choke with Silva's failure to keep his gloves up and his mouth shut. Everyone saw it coming... a baby could've gotten out the the way. Geez.

Last edited by jonreading : 10-25-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Jon Reading