View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 05:05 AM   #14
"From the Ashes"
IP Hash: 2da5a878
Anonymous User
Re: What to do - Telling sensei their waza isn't good any more

I'm posting this anonymously as it's too obvious even without me naming names if I use my own id here. I think I kind of agree with both sides here... It's not about being cocky or thinking you're better than your existing dojo but... You have to do what's best for you in the end.

My old dojo self promote the senior ranks, they have no humbu affiliation as such so it's not a problem for them. But I personally don't consider them worthy of their rank - their senior teacher only rolls on the left, not through injury, just simply because they will automatically swap to the right shoulder in mid roll. They are completely and utterly stagnant in their aikido, and I know for a fact that they have changed nothing in 6 or 7 years - many of my students go and visit the dojo without mentioning me and they get told off for training left and right handed and being too martial or for taking a high fall if a technique is firmly applied. Now I wouldn't consider myself or my students as being too martial.

I was not a teacher with these until I was given a papal letter of ex-communication and told never to darken their doors again. Had that particular incident never happened then I would be there still and I know my aikido would have never developed the way it has, they are scared of change and new ideas - in short, most of the teachers suffer from NIH - Not Invented Here.

My advice, leave and be respectful enough to explain the reasons, or, explain that you feel you must leave and do something of your own. If they're a good organisation, they will allow you to do this and support you, if they are not, you will be better off without them.

I stood up for what I believed in and was kicked out. But you know what? The best thing I've ever done in my life was start my own dojo as I know have a small but pretty dedicated group of like-minded students who I push to go and get out and train with as many teachers as they can with only one proviso - that they come back and show something, at least one thing that they picked up - even if they're a relative beginner.

Regards,
FtA