Old 06-08-2005, 10:36 PM   #80
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward

Quote:
Monty Collier wrote:
Yes I have done Aikido.
Epistemology is the study of how humans learn knowledge.
Do we learn through our senses?
Do we learn by deducing propositions from an axiom.
Do we learn by divine revelation.
And so on.

What you want to establish is my Aikido resume.
A list of experts who were my teachers has nothing to do with the argument at hand. This is a informal fallacy, a mistake in reasoning.

Red Beetle
I know that this has been discussed a number of times recently, but establishing credentials is important in a forum like this where no one knows you.

As an alternative to telling everyone who your teachers were and how long you trained and what style you trained in you could give us access to a number of videos where you are doing Aikido both as shite and as uke.

If you haven't had any formal training in Aikido then it is possible that you don't have the right to have an opinion about Aikido.

This is something many people forget...if you don't know anything about something then you should either go find out about it or keep quiet. Handing out opinions on something you have no knowledge of is like practicing medicine without a license. Maybe you think you're helping...but probably not.

Oh...and as for definitions...
Quote:
eˇpisˇteˇmolˇoˇgy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-pst-ml-j)
n.
The branch of philosophy that studies the nature of knowledge, its presuppositions and foundations, and its extent and validity.
That all being said...I've enjoyed your posts. But evading the issue of lineage is stupid if you want any respect here. And starting an obviously controversial thread entitled "Aikido minus mysticism: a step forward" without answering simple questions on where you come from and what you base your opinion on seems to me to be blatantly provocative.

FWIW,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs