View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 11:52 AM   #15
"aaaaa"
IP Hash: e0b87ca0
Anonymous User
Re: Seminar Doubts - Your Advice?

Before the seminar I did bring up the question of what to expect this year. I was glad to discover I was not alone in my opinions. It was good to know my sempai have a view on reality more like mine than not. So at the end of the first class, when the Shihan promised he wouldn't be talking so much in the next, I wondered if he heard about this thread.

The methodology was more accessible than last year. I think the idea was to give us a lot of things for a year of exploring under a cohesive philosophy. The progression of technique was inspired and constructive, punctuated by mini lectures with no economy of time. Then to waza.

We were up and down a lot. Fortunately my partner and I optimized the time and did 2&2 instead of 4&4. I got more hands on than last year. I sat cross legged; very little seiza practice. A lot of new faces, different body types, range of experience varied greatly, a fine large group of people: the mat was crowded and everyone seemed glad to be there.

One thing I did not like. The Shihan would lecture (light philosophy tangently supporting the waza) and occasionally ask "You understand?" demanding a vocal response. I found myself saying "Yes Sensei" despite it being a lie more than not. What bothered me is the psychology of reinforcement behind this question/response dynamic. You hear yourself saying "Yes" so then you think you do. May I instead just file it away under "Research" for the time being? May I give my body a chance to remember the context and feel of it for reference? A petty thing perhaps. But then came the life lessons! If I wanted a guru I'd join a cult [no I don't and no I haven't].

But overall, in summary: good stuff, a lot of little gems sprinkled everywhere, too many to remember, lost under the mat for me to slip on.