View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #23
Lee Salzman
Re: Is power really generated from the center?

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
it's one of those things in the domain of IHTBF. it takes days to describe if at all possible, but takes a few minutes to show.

now for those who went to Ikeda seminar or going to, when he said "move your inside", he meant move your center. i thought i wrote in one of the thread about moving your center in discussion with Budd. Budd! where are you dude?

as far as Endo sensei went, i believed he lacked the vocabulary to describe what is going on inside his body so he talked about "feeling", at least that what the translators translated (which could be absolutely wrong). Like Ikeda sensei, he doesn't have a systematically way to train the body, at least he hadn't share that part. so there is a big gap: solo training to build the body. most of what shown by both Endo sensei and Ikeda sensei are the basic applications, not full application of techniques (small part of it devoted to full techniques).

for those who have exposed to IP/IS, what Endo sensei and Ikeda sensei demonstrated should be pretty obvious and understandable even if the language doesn't quite match.
Certainly IHTBF if the goal is to teach it to the extent of allowing someone to reproduce it. But in a discussion like this, with a question posed by the OP such as it is, we can at least give a plausible and logical explanation for what we mean to at least convince him to seek out the feeling in the first place, rather than a canyon full of doubt.

Let's say I want to throw a football (American). I have never seen someone throw a football. Someone tells me, "Okay, the arm moves, the ball follows." Oh... Let me go start pointing my arm somewhere, it's moving right? That football will start following my arm any day now. The arm is leading? What am I doing wrong here? This does not really inspire confidence in me. Oh, I was supposed to hold the ball, you say? Wait, you mean I'm not supposed to hold the ball like an ice cream cone? Hmm, I was supposed to let go of the ball too, I thought the problem in the first place was that I needed to hold it?

The "move your inside" thing is especially frustrating 'cause, well, in the end you can only see what effect it had, but the way Ikeda does it, you can't really see how it does it. It's like seeing the football fly across the field, and knowing a guy threw it, but not being able to see the guy visibly throwing the ball. He tells you just "throw the ball" and then we're back to... how? I've been to Ikeda's seminars long ago, and in the end, that's about all I left with, big giant "how?"s.

I think we can simultaneously raise the level of discourse here, while still respecting the limitations of IHBTF or whatever other 5 letter acronym that gets dragged out. Some of us have already felt it and still have questions, so now what?