View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Buck
United_States
Re: What paths lead to internal power??

My closing thoughts are since not all roads lead to Rome when it comes to internal power then how is it acquired. The ancient texts that I have read and other readings indicate to me, internal power is already existent in us. That is pretty clear because we are breathing, and Chi is air. In terms of internal power in its cultivation requires breathing exercises. Then to apply internal power (well that is when it gets fuzzy), in various methods, and ways.

One way many express internal power is through principles -applying physics. For example, Aikido uses internal power when a waza results in a throw. That is based the fact Aikido wazas don't grab someone, pick 'em up and heave them through the air. As, in those Link's Beef Jerky "Don't Mess with Sasquatch" commercials. That has no relation to the CM term of external. Here is where the balance is taken way, gravity comes into play, etc. instead of brute force strength to do the job.

Another way is via process, like what a baseball pitcher does to throw a curve ball or other types of pitches. That is what isn't seen is how he grabs the ball. A picture grabs the ball usually inside his mit or behind his back, and does so in a fashion that will dictate they type of pitch, how the ball will travel in space, and the direction.

Cultivation isn't really what I feel the right perspective to take as much as it is practice with a goal in mind. Cultivation is not as specific and can mean many things that can complicate what the correct meaning and application is. Therefore, I prefer the term and perspective of practice. That falls in line with every thing we do.

Internal power, to throw like Aikido and not like a Sasquatch. Since most people can't throw like a Sasquatch they will tend to figure out a way that will work for them.Just as pitcher have develop different pitches. What limits them I think is that they are confined to paradigms set by perceptions, constructs, culture, instruction and interpretation and special language.

Paradigms in this sense limits the understanding of internal power to be something, rather than a concept not readily seen when applied. In relation to a paradigm it is thought of as a specific thing. Such as salt, only enhancing the flavor of food. When looking into different internal power applications paradigms are restricting to that.

When you brake the paradigm, it allows you to see internal power as a concept, thus having an universal application vs. limited in scope as mentioned above. There are the a wide scope of different applications of internal power. Such as a pitcher gripping the ball in various ways and getting results of the ball traveling in different directions and speeds. Or the various ways to achieve kazushi.

Basically, practice is important without paradigms see the full scope of internal power applications. Which again is like choosing not to picking up a person and heaving them through the room. But instead applying body movements that alter and effect the opponent's body which includes achieving kazushi. All of which is very subtle and hard to detect visually. Much like how a boiling pot of water moves it's lid.