View Single Post
Old 07-26-2001, 08:10 AM   #25
arvin m.
firstly i believe that while its good to be confident in your aikido, i sensed a whiff of too much of it in some posts. Perhaps the truest test of whether a technique works or not would be its acutal application in a real fight? Until one gets into one, god forbid that he should, and successfully extricates himself can one really claim that his technique works. One's AIKIDO would work if he hadnt even fought at all unless there was no other way out...just my two cents worth

Many of us tend to forget atemi, karateka live and breathe such body blows. Hence, as suggested ma ai is of quintessence. Perhaps also some of the basic irmi and tenkan...just keep as relaxed as u possibly can and allow for him to commit to the attack, after all if he doesnt its a win win situation since no one gets hurt...if a karateka really knew his stuff, chances are he wouldnt be flaunting it (ok this is really naive right?)

irimi and tenkan, thats the mantra folks..let him come with the tsukis and just tenkan out of the way...or sidestep...or enter on yer own...easier said than done i guess but hey, thinking abt it is a start no? For me, i play defense...wait for him to attack then counter

im only a blue belt so this is the fairy tale world i live in as always comments and criticisms are most welcome...i might ask my judo friends to see if i can cross train with them in school..might be interesting? Any ideas on how to handle judoka perhaps?