View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #21
Luc X Saroufim

Re: Spirit + Form = Technique

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
I own and have read most of them, often two or more times. Have you read the compilation of interviews called "Aikido Masters"? I'm struck with how many 3rd, 4th, 5th... generation students of Aikido can succinctly sum up the "Philosophy of Aikido" when hardly any of the uchideshi said they could understand what he was even talking about most of the time.
a while back i picked up a book on the Tao, and after my 5th time reading it, i'm still trying to understand what's happening, who's talking, and just what i'm supposed to get out of it. but i've learned something new all 5 times, and the 6th time i read it, i will learn something else. my point is that Aikido, like many philosophies, leaves a lot of things open to interpretation. your understanding of Aikido is your own. that's a reason to celebrate it, not discard it.

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote:
It's my belief that if there are lessons to be had in Aikido, that they exist within the correctly exectued waza and that too much talk about the philosophy artificially colors that waza and leads to the further deterioration of the art.
hypothetical situation: two men fighting with swords. the Kendo swordsman strikes his opponent down.

the Aikidoka performs iriminage, and his opponent is left staring at the tip of his blade, but not dead. not even scratched.

are you saying the differences between these two lie purely in the waza?