Thread: Elbow Power
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #120
tombuchanan
Re: Elbow Power

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote: View Post
Interesting. I note that no one has really discussed 'what is elbow power' in this thread.

As a historical tidbit, there is a concept of "hiji no ri" or "elbow power" (perhaps more accurately, 'the principle of the elbow') in Judo. An aquientance of mine (who's trained with both Sam Chin and Akuzawa, as well as being Dan ranked in Tomiki aikido) has mentioned that 'elbow management' is a hot topic in those arts. Considering something like Wing Chun (which seems to have a very interesting way of using the elbows / arms), I think something like this might be a fruitful discussion.

In regards to Ukemi; it's my understanding that certain hard chi-gung exercises involve hitting oneself (lightly!) in order to 'spread the chi'. Actually, if you think about it, something like a side-break fall could serve a similar body conditioning purpose. I also realize that Kuroda has an interesting article on the use of ukemi (or rather, ukimi) and how it relates to his internal training.

In other words, ukemi training (as it is, without turning into bogyo) might serve a good purpose

$0.02
Off (on?) topic, I noticed that I have gotten more out of my training recently by focusing on the elbow and forgetting about the center for a while. Stuff like..

1.) Initiating a movement by pulling down on my sternum/collarbone seems to pull my elbows onto my spine/center. On a good day, this bypasses the shoulder almost completely. The resulting power seems to use the elbow as the focal point.

2.) An added benefit is the ability to more easily dissolve resistance through the elbow - back - hip - foot connection to the ground. I'm not any stronger, I just let their resistance "slide" through to the ground and keep moving forward.

3.) Maintaining a slight tug on the elbows keeps them attached to the spine. Pushing and pulling is subsequently anchored to the frame and results in substantially more force being generated.

4.) Forgetting the hand and initiating movement with the elbow seems to both avoid resistance and allow for an increased range of motion.

5.) Rotating the shoulder and elbow in opposite directions makes #4 just a little easier.

In the context of this thread, what are the objectives of "Elbow Power"? Any examples? Video (i.e., we are trying to do this)?