View Single Post
Old 01-26-2001, 06:37 PM   #16
Chris P.
Quote:
Aikilove wrote:
As late as during my last practice, there was a guy, sandan it turned out, without Hakama, visiting from an other club. During weapon class I wasn't really impressed, he had a black belt and yet he couldn't turn properly. I was starting to think this guy was from a jiu jutsu club.
When Taijutsu class begun I ended up with him as a partner. We were to do Shihonage followed by kotegaeshi (uke stand up right after shihonage). I started to do shihonage and he felt as a block of lead, but I must have done something right because he went down with a crash (he took a breakfall) and went up again. I harmonized with his up movement and proceeded with a kotegaeshi (the throwing variant)... and he didn't move an inch. I froze, since I didn't wanted to dislocate his elbow or wrist, and looked at him. He didn't say anything so I tried again and same thing happens. I asked him why he didn't take ukemi, and he simply said that he was waiting for me to throw him. I didn't know what to think but made another try and prayed that he would take ukemi, because this time I wasn't going to stop. I did kotegaeshi and far behind the point where it would be good for his joints he suddenly made a volt on the spot ending up in a huge brakefall. I asked him if he was ok, and he looked at me as if I was a fool asking a question like that to a blackbelt like him.

Consider yourself lucky. Many of the people I work with don't even wait for the throw before tossing themselves on the ground!