Thread: Spiritual
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
lbb
United_States
Re: Spiritual

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
No doubt many have never seen the sense in the fundamentals either. They must be separatists.

Peace.Aiki.
Here's something to help out your comprehension, Graham:

Fundamental:
noun
5. a basic principle, rule, law, or the like, that serves as the groundwork of a system; essential part: to master the fundamentals of a trade.
6. Also called fundamental note, fundamental tone. Music.
a. the root of a chord.
b. the generator of a series of harmonics.
7. Physics. the component of lowest frequency in a composite wave.

Fundamentalism:
noun
1. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) a movement in American Protestantism that arose in the early part of the 20th century in reaction to modernism and that stresses the infallibility of the Bible not only in matters of faith and morals but also as a literal historical record, holding as essential to Christian faith belief in such doctrines as the creation of the world, the virgin birth, physical resurrection, atonement by the sacrificial death of Christ, and the Second Coming.
2. the beliefs held by those in this movement.

You can humpty-dumpty all you want, but "fundamentalism" and "fundamentals" are only distantly related. When I spoke of a fundamentalist approach, I was clearly not referring to those who adhere to "a basic principle, rule, law or the like", but rather to literalists as described under the dictionary definition of fundamentalism. Not for the first time, Graham, do NOT try to tell me what I said and what I meant.