View Single Post
Old 03-23-2002, 09:37 AM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: Total Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Wshmaster0

I am currently 19 and I attend FSU in Tallahassee, FL. My main question is, is it too late? I am of medium height (5'4, actually small for a male) and I breakdance on a regular basis to keep my flexibility. However I have always been intimidated by people who entered at an early age and can fly through the air like it was nothing.

My main interest though is in the sword techniques I had a friend who was into martial arts and was training in Aikido. I mentioned to him that I wanted to learn a pure Japanese style so he said this might a good one for me. Is it possible to learn start the sword without prior years training in the martial arts?
You're at a great age to start. With your size, flexibility and body control (from break dancing) you'll have an easy time in aikido. Particularly the style of aikido that is most prevalent in your area.

You're in a great location. There are several great dojo within easy driving range of you where you could pick up many different flavors of aikido.

There is a Tri-State aikido gathering at Eight Winds Aikido Society in Gautier, MS (just beyond Mobile) April 27th. You'd be able to see several of them there.

I do think that you'll end up a little disappointed in the sword work of generic aikido. There are a couple of dojo near you, however, that practice Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu (MJER) Iaijutsu; an old-school sword style. That, I would think, would give you a solid grounding.

I visit one of those dojo frequently, so if you do take up aikido, we'll probably run into each other eventually.

If you ever have questions feel free to e-mail me.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings