View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 09:51 PM   #11
Richard Elliott
Re: Aikido and Preserving Ego

Quote:
Matthew Green wrote:
Thank you all for taking intrest in this thread. It has been an issue I have been thinking about for some time. I really find the concept that the attacker has their own ego very interesting.I was always told to understand that ego only exists as what was created by society. For example, even if you hate someone, your ego cannot exist without them, because you identify yourself as not being them. That is why I think that we need to respect everyone we encounter in our lives. They are making up what we call our reality. To fight against them is to fight your own reality, and ulimately ourselves"ego". That is why I enjoy Aikido, because you are not actually fighting against them. They are fighting themselves. In Buddhism, everyone is viewed as one. I belive to attack someone is to attack yourself. And of course, there is still that whole Karma thing........and of course, there is still the option that this is all crap. hahaha. Fell free to tell me if you think so. I'll listen.
Heck no, man, no crap here. You have summed up a lot of stuff here for me which is easy to remember as a complete block in order to think on further. Are you a teacher of some kind? I can't help but believe that whatever Oneness is it is going to be similar to what I have experience as oneness with a beloved: a unity that includes a recognition and acceptance of all the differences and diversities that exist for her as well as the sameness...well heck, I'm no Shakespeare.

Reset: Years ago I started reading about Zen, but since I decided I wasn't going to practice it in a systematic way it would probably be better not to inevitably drive myself crazy trying to understand it. I admire people who make the practice and study of Zen and Aikido a serious or "serious" (see, see, it's already started! I'm feeling quotation crazy!).

The closest I've come to emptiness or void is simply the practice of quieting my mind as still as possible for as prolonged period as possible. This also involves emptying myself of perceptions as far as possible. Not easy. Is it fruitfull? Well . . . that's a perception.

In any case, without the capacity or practice of quieting my mind I wouldn't have made the little progress I made in Aikido, I think. I wouldn't have been able to relax.

I have an admiration and respect for Buddhism and their view of desire, ego, and I guess overcoming them.

I don't know if "ego", a Freudian concept to begin with is learned and solely a product of society. It might very well be. It's an interesting departure.

Respectfully, Richard