View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #70
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: YouTube: Kanaya Hirotaka Shihan

Quote:
Markus Rohde wrote: View Post
In the entrying videos you can see a uke, who is bothering to follow toris movement and to hold the contact in a very limber way, not everybody is able to do it like this. So his reaction is one part due to his flexibility. On the other Hand he is is well-rehearsed to the movements of his teacher, so there will be no real surprising actions for him.

If uke is compliant in this special way, tori can do things that make the demonstration look like it does, but to move uke in this way with little or no effort is also not so easy as it looks like.
Its just a kind of practice that helps to achieve body skills, not a demonstration of magical power.
Wheather tori could do it in the same way with a stiff and uncompliant uke, is not really important, of course he couldn't. Maybe he would impress uke in some way, but it certainly wouldn't look like it does in the video.

It is not easy to compare this with the tomiki-video, but in this one tori has to deal with real attacking force, whereas in the first Videos uke does nothing than react to toris movements.
Markus;

If you read back to my first posting on the vids I say pretty much the same thing. I see value in that sort of demonstration and training and my real problem is for those that see compliance on one hand and say how terrible it is and then refuse to see it elsewhere. The truth is I saw the Tomiki video and wanted to post it somewhere, anywhere, and this thread seemed like a good choice.

In both cases, uke has a role to play and success in my opinion is when it does not appear to be contrived. If uke looks like he is working too hard to make tori look good - then something is wrong. The Tomiki video shows, again in my opinion, a good example of where uke not being too obvious. Although if one looks hard, and as other people have pointed out, there are instances where he cold have done better. I thought the ushiro-ate was an obvious fall for example.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido