View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #55
Cliff Judge
Japan
Re: YouTube: Kanaya Hirotaka Shihan

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
Answering my own post (bad) but this was posted on a Tomiki aikido study group page https://vimeo.com/97201380 and shows a very interesting demo with a flavor far removed from much of what we see today. This is something we could use a return to - less compliant uke's - techniques that actually look like they are working.
These are certainly more lively, serious attacks. The initial timing and spacing seems to be entirely unplanned. I think this is one of the best ways to do regular training.

But as far as demonstration goes - whether embu or more of a "lecture" such as a shihan might do at a seminar - I think there are issues.

First of all, the students are going to see technique, technique technique. They are going to break off and practice the arm bar, or the choke, or the leg sweep. If the teacher is trying to get them to shift their weight a certain way, or take their uke's balance in a certain way, he is going to have to deal with the fact that most people on the mat are not going to be listening to him. This is a problem, and I believe that the type of "that would never actually work" demo we are debating in this thread is the solution that has evolved.

Second, less of a concern perhaps, but I am still seeing the uke in this 1956 Tomiki video throwing one attack and then hanging out and waiting to get thrown / dealt with. Tomiki is not waiting around very long and acting like he somehow stunned uke into hanging out, but uke is still doing one attack, then expecting to get thrown. He is not engaging as a fighter would. Obviously this is still a demonstration and not a match, but I am just saying, people from fighting arts that don't like kata are still going to gripe about that. It's not truly getting away from "compliant uke syndrome" if you think that's a problem.