View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan
Re: depressed about new dojo / my aikido

Is it possible that you are reading too much into a chance comment? I realize that its not nice to be asked if you have a medical condition and I also believe that it is probably inappropriate on the mat (unless there was a safety concern), but hopefully these instructors of yours aren't malicious in their asking of questions.

When you watch the techniques of other students in the dojo, does anything appear slightly or even quite different to you? What about the instructors - anything weird in their techniques to your eyes? Is this dojo the same style that is taught at Aikikai Hombu (I'm assuming that's the hombu you were referring to in Tokyo)?

I'd say that if you aren't comfortable training there, then leave. But I hope you don't end up leaving over a simple communication problem or because of a chance remark by someone one night when they were tired and grumpy.

Of course the "keep asking me things like..." is worrying. Once might be a mistake; more often might be a habit. Again...you have to ask yourself if you are comfortable training there.

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs