View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
lbb
United_States
Re: Got pwned by boxer =-(

Quote:
Keith Miklas wrote: View Post
In sum, I felt helpless and defenseless against his skills.
You should have. You're a rookie and he's experienced. The "never box a boxer, never wrestle a wrestler" truth that others have pointed out is something to always remember, if for no other reasons than it puts an end to the endless "Could Superman beat up Batman?" type arguments.

Quote:
His comments:
1. It's not possible to catch/blend with his punches.
Not absolutely true, but a lot closer to the truth than a lot of students of grappling styles would like to believe. It's a common belief among grappling stylists that you "just catch the leg" if someone kicks, or "just catch the punch" if someone punches. Someone who trains in a striking style can strike much faster, much harder and with much less telegraphing than what you're likely to experience from your partners in an aikido dojo.

Quote:
2. He's going to throw a combination, so even if I try I'm probably going to get hit (this, too, he demonstrated with a gentle right to my floating rib when I tried for a sankyo).
3. He would never over-extend himself with a "clean attack" like we use in class.
Again, in aikido dojos we train against a simple, obvious, straightforward attack. There are good reasons for this, but it does mean that there are certain styles of attack that you just don't get much practice against. Again, doesn't mean that aikido can't defend against these attacks, but if I were dealing with a combination striking attack, I'm sure I'd at least partly use skills I learned from karate.

By the way, there are a lot of valuable lessons to take away from your experience, but none of them is, "boxing beats aikido".