View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #81
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Very Disturbing news about Clint George

Great Posts...

A few notes....

Some folks seem to be viewing thier conception of forgiveness through a very narrow social prism somehow detaching it from consequence? Lingering background radiation from the feel good me first 70's perhaps? I recommend of Christopher Lasch's book The Culture of Narcissim

In my case and it has been mentioned it came in stages and was a process but at not point did I wish to absolve the persons involved from the consequnces of their acts...I only wished to forgive them....

As Ellis has mention the ideal of forgiveness has been distorted somewhat.

As Fred has mentioned true compassion is allowing people to embrace thier own suffering and to help them wake up to what effect they have caused with thier evil...

A great modern day exercise in this regard was The Reverend Desmond Tutu's Truth and Reconciliation Council in South Africa at the end of Aphartied.

Forgiveness in the beginning can be a very selfish act...In my case did I wish to carry the rage, anger, and shame around with me forever and have it color my relationships and my life... Or could I let it go and move on to the Dharma....

In Christian terms should I continue to nuture the "Sins of the Father" and pontentially have my "sons" pay for them...

Forgiveness to me was the only way to break this chain and become free of the evil it caused in my life and the lives of others...

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 03-19-2008 at 10:52 AM.