View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 05:00 AM   #21
DH
United_States
Re: Single-side movement

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
Ukemi will not teach you aiki. But it is considered privilige to take ukemi from your teacher, not? One might argue that when you experience kuzushi first hand, you get good reference material for your own practise (to develop aiki).
There is a reason that koryu had the teachers taking the ukemi. When I teach people to do certain things I have them feel it and then I take the ukemi and lead them, then, make it harder, then harder.
Ideally, good "aiki training," will cancel out ukemi, The better your body is and the better you do certain things; within and without, you're just gonna get tougher and tougher to be thrown. So why is falling apart willingly a good thing? That just benefits the teacher.
I think the whole aikido model is backward. The teacher should be taking ukemi all the time. Think of this, what if you went to class tomorrow and for the next year three shihan were your uke day after day? Which way do you think you would learn faster?

All that said, thee best way to learn aiki...is solo work. Aiki is generated by your connected body first and foremost not running around and trying to blend! Only after some serious training will weird things start to happen like them losing their feet and kuzushi on contact, changing their changes, with nary a thought from you.
Ukemi is trying to learn from the outside in and you will not get the higher level stuff that way...no thanks.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 09-26-2011 at 05:02 AM.