View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #8
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom
Re: Why so many Haters of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido?

Quote:
Ed Duffy wrote: View Post
Been noticing quite a bit of dissension towards KI Aikido on this forum. Why is that? Is it because many preceive it as ineffective or is it just because of the big split with Tohei Sensei from the Aikikai? I've never understood this in the Aikido community. Please explain. Should I go to another style? Can't KI Aikido be street effective?

May God bless!

Ed
Hi Ed,

Why would you want to go to another style if you are happy with the one you are in? If you were not happy with your training, then yes, it would be worth checking out others to see if it delivered what you wanted.

Of course ki-aikido can be street effective, or rather some people who practice ki-aikido can be street effective, as it is the person not the style that is effective. It may be the case that there is a higher proportion of street effective aikidoka from styles that focus more on martial application, than those in the ki based styles.

I think that Tohei's lineage and teaching methods, has probably attracted many aikidoka who are not practicing for the primary purpose of self defence. They are there for the many other benefits that are gained from learning how to co-ordinate mind and body, which is the main purpose of the ki development exercises, which dilineate this style from others.

I practice and teach ki-aikido, but not with the ki society. I have been on these boards for quite a while, it doesn't bother me that some people here are outright dismissive of the style I practice. I tend to focus on improving what I do, and be open to understanding the limitations of what it is I am learning.

No one style of aikido can be deemed 'better' than the rest, they came from different students of O Sensei. However, just because someone practiced with Ueshiba, doesn't mean they 'got' what he was teaching. Maybe they were not all that good, but because they have the kudos of having spent time in the same place as the founder, they are looked up to, as paragons of aikido.

Let others say what they want, if you are happy following the path you are on, and you know you are progressing along it, then keep going, keep improving, and be open to the fact that there are limitations to all methods/styles.

I have read here recently that the Hombu dojo, has little or no weapons practice going on there. For me, many of the high grade classes I attend are weapons based, occassionally with a live blade. So although some may dismiss me as an aiki-bunny, because of the style I do, I reckon that I would stand a slightly better chance on the street where weapons are involved, than someone who has little or no weapons training at all.

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.