View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
Judith Jones
Dojo: KSMBDA
United Kingdom
Re: Ukemi 101

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
Me previous senseis were very good at teaching front roll.

was one of the ways they helped me. the line is drawn diagonally across the body according to how we roll. also, they also sat next to us when we started rolling and actually supported our body into maintaining its circle at the time of the roll. that actually gave quite a good feel on how a roll should be, especially to the uninitiated.

but as always, i believe necessity makes all things possible. usually the best help to a roll is a good throw. and the safest throw you can use would be a kaitennage. nage's hand should rest on the head helping uke remember to tuck it in. uke's leading hand is already resting on the floor to support the front roll. nage pushes uke's back hand forward giving uke the necessary momentum to make a good roll. most of the time, a roll fails because uke doesn't go all the way, so the roll eventually collapses midway.

hope this helps.
I remember this too, Jon and Sarah are very good at teaching beginners rolling. How are you Ahmad? It is many years since we practised together. I did hear you came to visit Manchester a few years back