Old 07-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #33
TokyoZeplin
Dojo: Seishinkan Dojo
Denmark
Re: A word on Time Trained and Ranking

Quote:
Kenneth King wrote: View Post
Hey Philip,

Doesn't matter, get on the mat at any dojo. If you only have that small amount of time you can start learning ukemi at the very least. That way you will be able to skip the awkward crappy rolling phase once you find a dojo you want to train at in Tokyo! Take care and good luck to you.
Solid advice all around!
But in Denmark, at least for the dojos around me, you have to pay an registration fee and 1-3 months tuition when starting, so I'm afraid it's an economic plunge I'm not quite willing to take, for less than a months training (I'm heading off to Tokyo in just less than a month).
That said, I already started practising ukemi! From the get-go, I wanted to eliminate some of the "non-essential" tasks (things that aren't really "special" to the art, or require personal teaching to get: I've also started having a look at kamae, to have a rough idea of how I should stand, just to prepare), and I already learned how to roll when I did Jujutsu many years back, so it's just a matter of re-training myself - though I might add that a hard dry garden is not a comfortable place to practice! :P

Quote:
Josephine Fan wrote: View Post
LOL! Crossdressing! Oh my goodness, I'd pay to see everyone cross dressed on the mat!

When I say beauty I don't mean... pretty in the sense of the physical appearance of the person, but that their movements and what they do are beautiful--which also incorporates their passion and their love for the art as well as how fast or flowy their movements are. I find some of our older members, with their wonderfully soft but firm style to be very beautiful to me. Just as I find some of our younger members hard, technical, fast styles to also be beautiful, and vice versa for the age thing. Even the beginners who are trying their best are pretty to me.

Precision maybe? Sincerity? What is most pleasing to the eye in terms of how a body naturally moves and is positioned? How much respect one has for their partner? How much love and respect they have for the art and themselves? (For example, slouching is not pretty to me.)

Ack, the more I think about it the more it confuses me. I just KNOW it looks pretty, like something in my head says: ooh, watch that one. Or warms my heart. Or something. v___v
Wouldn't that change drastically between styles though? I can see Iwama and Ki being beautiful, but from all I've seen, Tomiki and Yoshinkan is considerably less wavey, smaller, and more to the point. In all demonstrations I've seen, I would never describe Tomiki as "beautiful", especially not during competitions!