View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #181
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States
Re: Knife Randori Videos

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
I don't know about the 10 mistakes that martial artists make in a knife fight, but the biggest mistake martial artists make in general is to theorize and intellectualize without testing their hypotheses under pressure.
Survived a few encounters with knives one with a dude who knew his business

Quote:
Too many people are resting on their laurels. The funny thing is most frequently they don't have any laurels in the first place.
No...What is funny is why folks like yourself continue to post? I know you're one of Chris's Posse...I admire your attempts to defend him but what Chris did is stupid...He posts a video... does not set a criteria for it... and then whines when no one can read his mind...

Quote:
The video William linked to reveals a serious misunderstanding. This is a fully cooperative practice. There is no resistance involved. The "attacker's" objective is to allow the technique to be applied. This has no more relevance to what was happening in Chris's video than traditional aikdo ki no nagare.
LOL Like you know the differance. ...I stated it was basic practice and point folks to the exercise at the end....So help me what is to misunderstand/ Greg is one of the top Kilat teachers in the country.

Quote:
If you are not aware of the difference that results from the attacker changing his objective to actually succeeding with his attack, I highly recommend exposing yourself to that.
So your vid demonstrating this "exposure" is where?

Quote:
Here's the guy (long pants) from William's video in a much more intense situation. Wonder why he doesn't make it look so easy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr5Vc...eature=related
I wonder how much experiance you have to actually interpret what you saw?

Quote:
In the drill that Chris showed, the only restriction was that no striking was allowed. The knife can be used in any way and the defender can respond in any way.
Stupid is as stupid does...If there are restrictions like no striking then your training is weak...Striking IS A PART of KNIFE FIGHTING

Quote:
Nothing here looks like stylized aikido, or kali or silat or systema for that matter.

The beautiful thing is that digital cameras are cheap. Youtube makes it very easy to post videos. You can literally put raw footage online within minutes of shooting it.

Tanto dori is part of aikido. What is the best way to train to face a knife while empty-handed? Let's see the video.
So I guess what your saying is we can just throw the baby out with the bathwater LOL

In the future when you and Chris want constructive feedback Please just ask for it instead of throwing a hissy fit when you post a vid and whine when no one can read your "bright" minds....

Thank you so much.

William Hazen

Last edited by Aikibu : 04-01-2008 at 11:19 PM.