View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 03:13 AM   #28
Ian Williams
Re: "Cheating" to survive a real fight

Quote:
drDalek wrote:
I agree with you completely, we tai-sabaki to get off the line so we dont get hit. But what if you do get hit?, how big a percentage of the time does getting off the line actually work for you, especially when practicing against someone from another art who is not afraid to track you with his fist. When you do get hit, do you still try and apply a technique from there, actually, what is your strategy if its not "sorry, can we try again please?"
Well, to be blunt, if I get hit I could be knocked out, killed or just stunned, but in most street fights, it doesn't take too many hits to end a fight.. We train so we don't get hit, and the best way to not get hit is to not be there (either run away or off the line). If that doesn't work then hopefully we get a glancing blow and not a direct one.

I'll agree that the "percussive" arts (lol) better train you to deal with a strike than the "kinetic" arts we practice.

Quote:
I dont argue that they are not very well trained or very dedicated to their profession or very good at fighting in the specific context of the UFC but I was trying to tie in how, no matter what art they claimed to study, in the specific context of the UFC it all looks the same. This is not a bad thing, I am all for doing what works but when you get into a bar-room brawl, will your Aikido look like brawling too? Could you still call it Aikido then?
I doubt it .. MMA looks like it does because it's the most effective means of knocking someone out/forcing a submission within the rules of MMA. There are no groin strikes, eye gouges, throat strikes etc - all valid techniques to use in a street fight. If Aikido or Jujitsu or Yoga or Macrame was better at winning fights in a UFC environment then most people would be doing that.

No argument that the fighting styles within MMA/UFC are very similar, but this is a result of evolution, not a restriction on techniques (other than mentioned above).

Last edited by Ian Williams : 04-30-2004 at 03:17 AM.