View Single Post
Old 02-14-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
Mike
Well, I think you have hit on a question that is at the core of everything. Why? I have only been studying Aikido for about 4 months, but befor that I spent 2 months of finding information about various activites driven by the basic thought that I needed to do "somthing". One reason I picked Aikido is physical activity. I wanted something that would move this body I live in and keep it in shape, seeing that I would be stuck with it for the rest of my life. The non-argesive philosophy also interested me, I thought it would help control my temper which can be rather explosive at times.

I admit that I want to be able to deal with a physical confrontation should one ever arise, or have some source of responsable and effective action. In my life I have been physicaly threatened once, which was resolved with words not fists thankfully. I think this is due to having the intimidation of a stout build. Even still I want to be prepaired do protect myself, not to beat the other person to a pulp.

What I'm finding in these 4 months is a deire to control the only think in this world I can control, myself. The ability to know what I want in life and follow that force of will (ki?).

Concerning others, I have trained with some uke's who may have resisted to much for someone with my level of experiance. Depending on the mood I'm in on that day I see it two diferent ways. First, "This guy is just showing off and gets kicks puting down the new guy." Second, "This guy is trying to show me how things would be in the real world and I would get hit in the face if I don't learn how to do this right." I can't read or control his thoughts about the situation, so I try to beleve the second.

I might have rambeled off subject somewhere in there, but that's my $0.02

Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto