View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #32
Ryan Seznee
Dojo: Does it matter?
United_States
Re: O-Sensei a Shinto Priest?

Quote:
Sy Labthavikul wrote: View Post
What classifies as a "standard religion"? Actually lets not go there.

Actually, I believe Morihei Ueshiba's life has been pretty well documented, by Stanley Pranin and other historians. Morihei Ueshiba is actually a fairly prominent and significant figure in Japan, along with Jigaro Kano, Gichin Funakoshi, and others. A little research seems warranted.

Here's a start, from the aikido historian himself, Stanley Pranin:

http://www.aikidojournal.com/encyclo...hp?entryID=723

Could not find mention of "priest" or even "Shinto" (other than mention of Kashima Shinto ryu) anywhere there. And please don't say "just because it doesn't say it there doesn't mean it isn't possible," because then I will lay down the hypothesis that O'Sensei was a fan of Steven Seagal movies.
To clear up so as not to offend anyone who may be Shinto out there, I meant it has no standard Dogma, no common myths of creation, and a lot of versions of it have unique laws, customs, and traditions that are all together seperate and unique from other versions of Shintoism. Just like in Hinduism can refer to number of differant religeons originating in India in which have less comonalities than similarities.

I wouldn't go there because I have no intention of proving anything myself. I come on here selfishly asking for more information and only meant the chalenge as a way to get people to provide more information.

Thank you for the info