View Single Post
Old 08-21-2015, 09:25 PM   #48
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori
Re: Martial Arts Instructors Should Learn To Teach

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Did Saito Sensei know *everything* that O Sensei knew? Did your instructor learn *everything* that Saito Sensei had to teach?
Rhetorical questions?

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
With no disrespect to either instructor, probably not. Being human, no teacher is able to convey everything that they know. Being human, no student is able to retain everything that they are taught. And so some loss of knowledge over time is inevitable. If the Ryu is to survive, each generation must not only preserve what they are taught, but seek to rediscover what has been lost.
Ah but what we weren't being taught has not been lost. Saito Sensei was one of the first Japanese Aikidoka to have translated in to English why we do it this way and when to do it this way. Why we don't do it this way and so forth. Aikido Journal is a fine example. We can study over and over again from these videos and learn from the legacy Saito Sensei has be left behind. Remember, he was O'sensei longest serving student.

We attend a 20 day Uchi deshi with Nemoto Sensei in Japan next week. He was a direct student of Saito Sensei and one of his traveling Uke to the USA. This training will hopefully reinforce what we already should know and to hopefully learn something we don't know. Our club also falls under the CAA, Patrica Hendriks.

I can guarantee you this, Iwama Aikido works. Just like Yoshinkan and Shodokan.

Iwama women Aikidoka are renown throughout the world for there very strong Aikido. They didn't achieve this reputation from training with another style of Aikido. Yes they to went to Japan and studied. From the horses mouth, not the jockey.

What I see out there are watered down versions of Aikido being taught that devalues our art into a choreographed dance.

My thoughts...

Motto tsuyoku