View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #197
Michael Neal
Re: Tales of Judo Sparring Aikidoists

Quote:
1) I think you are wrong in that you are upset about stories from aikido people picking on Judo, and we'll I just looked for it and didn't see it AND the almost every person who had a victory story practiced aikido with some competitive element except Craig Hocker. He probably used his body better than the guy he was training against, and that's probably his specialty.
I bet you that if I started a thread on judoinfo.com about how I went to a few random Aikido dojos and tossed some Aikidoka around using techniques they were not trained in etc. I would get flamed by every Aikidoka around. It appears like bragging and it would a jerkish thing to do.

I also am basing my observations on other threads that I have read here on Aikiweb for several years, not just this one. This is not the first debate here we have had on Aikido vs. Judo. I have seen so many comments like "Judo is just a sport ... yada yada yada " that it naturally irritates me. Just like If I posted saying something like "Aikido is just spiritual yoga," that would irritate many Aikidoka. The fact is Aikidoka constantly take swipes at Judo, but when the tables are turned the same Aikidoka have a fit. I remember my Aikido instructor take some swipes at Judo a few times as well.

Thats what I mean by not throwing chum in the water if you don't want some sharks to stop by.

Last edited by Michael Neal : 06-08-2005 at 06:41 PM.