View Single Post
Old 09-09-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
Hogan
Re: Insurance Coverages - which ones?

Quote:
Paul Smith wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for the thoughts so far. From having worked for lawyers for years, unfortunately, I have seen far too much of what Bronson describes. In fact, yes, gun manufacturers in particular were sued all the time for the crimes committed using their product. I hadn't thought of the angle that, unlike Colt, or Remington, or (you name it), yours truly does not have a pocket at all, much less deep pockets...!

Thank you one and all.

Paul
Correct me if I am wrong, yes people can sue you but that doesn't mean they will win. So, my question, does the insurance that people have pay the costs of any lawsuit if you are sued, or do they only pay the 'payout'.

In other words, yes they can sue and you can get insurance because you are afraid of being sued, but they will not win anyway (i.e., gun lawsuits, car lawsuits, the suit someone mentioned above about someone suing the shoes of someone, etc...none of them successful), so the insurance is a waste because they don't even pay the costs of a lawsuit defense ?

People warn about getting insurance, but can anyone provide an example of some instructor being successfully sued for someone getting hurt through training ? Or by some instructor being successfully sued by a victim of one of the instructors students if that student was violent to someone ? And I am talking about an instructor who just rented space, not an instructor who was a landlord and a student was hurt in his building...