Thread: hello all
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
soupdragon1973
Dojo: Hallam Aikido, Sheffield
United Kingdom
hello all

Hello my name is Alex but you can call me Soupdragon if you wish haha. I got into Aikido only four weeks ago, I actually came to it via a 'Mcdojo' I was involved with here in Sheffield (thankfully not for too long) where I saw a demonstration of it and a light bulb clicked in my head! I hate to sound cliched but it was the flow of it that I liked, also I thought it had a beauty to it. It wasnt Steven Seagal who brought me to it. I personally think his movies suck although I understand he brought alot of people to the art and he is great at what he does. Except acting.

I am 39 soon to be 40, I came into martial arts late in life. I took them up to help me focus and deal with my stress. I had a go at Judo tonight, first time in 31 years. Its tough going and I see it more as a sport. I dont like it as much as Aikido, none of the flow and grace of Aikido. I still like Judo but its not much fun slamming my spine into the mat haha!

Hope as a newbie to both this forum and Aikido I can make some new friends. I have an open mind to learn and hear peoples opinions. I mean what do I know, only been doing it for four weeks! I do love what I have seen and practiced and it has lead me to meditate also as I see that as useful in martial arts, life and Aikido. I also like the ettiqutte and Japanese side of Aikido. I would like to learn more about Shinto and Ueshiba. I got The Art Of Peace by Ueshiba from the library. I must admit I have so much admiration for him from what I have read about him so far, very interesting.

Thanks for reading. Alex