View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #178
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Demonstrating aiki, demontrating aikido.Same thing ?

Quote:
Scott Burke wrote: View Post
Surely with all the thought you've put into this and the confidence of your conclusions you've figured out how to actually do something with it, right?
One or two things... You? Plus the crazy... like Jon said. Never underestimate the crazy...

More to the point -- what IS the point ? Not real martial effectiveness -- not in the reality of modern conflict -- not by any stretch. 7.62 and 9's cap the best and most exquisite traditional martial artist I have ever seen -- or ever will see. Marquis of Queensberry died -- a really, really long time ago. We have to be about something else. I don't fight for prizes -- other than my head.

It used to be said that the beginning of wisdom was to call things by their right name. So what is the point of this -- if not to learn more about -- and more concretely, how the body works and to command the body --and the mind -- better -- for its own sake?

If so, then what is your point? To do something you don't have any way to objectively describe and just grunt collective appreciation of whatever it is you have managed to do but can't be bothered to put a right name to? Truly, I think better of you than that. Would that be respectful or disrespectful of the art, since I assume you have the capacity to do better in understanding, and yet just don't want to ?

I can't comprehend trying to train that way. I've seen too many good ways train to turn my nose up at any. I can't imagine doing it, and haven't yet. Nothing I've worked out is dependent on nor favors any training method. It's about the body and how it works -- or fails -- as the case may be. Method is not my game. I truly think aiki is at root anti-method -- and I suspect you would agree.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.