View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 AM   #161
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
Re: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu *not vs* Aikido

Quote:
Philippe Willaume wrote: View Post
But in a multiple attacker, going to the ground willingly is not a sensible course of action.
And being taken to the ground is going to be your undoing, regardless how good you are on the ground.
yes there is case where you know that help is at hand or if you ground game is much better than your opponent (if you are a proper BJJ guy) you will be able to delay the other opponents enough for help to come and or set up a verbal/psychological fence.
But in that case you need more than 6 month in BJJ and or have help handy.

And according to the part of the world you living in, fighting against a single opponent can be inexistent or relatively common (all that pondered by your occupation).

You can not make a rule about self-defence
If facing several opponents is the most common encounter. It makes more sense to work on defence against being taken down (or the escape to get up that Larry mentioned) than working on what to do when you are on the floor.

If we take graham kote geishi followed by juji gatame, it is a very sound combination, it works well it is easy to apply.
That does not prevent it to be a bad idea if the person you are doing it has friends with him and you don't.
And the above is not excluding the very same technique being a good idea if graham is dealing with Johnny-no-mate on the booze.
I think I would clarify my point by saying, just learning to escape from the mount or guard is not really sufficient. Just like training Kata is not enough to make Aikido effective, there must be Randori The same is true for Ne Waza, if you think just learning how to make people let go is enough, it won't be.

Obviously I am not going into juji gatame out of habit. I respect the limitation of Ne Waza (ie it is no good with multiple opponents). We have multiple pins for all of our techniques. However I think, just as you do, that multiple opponents is very luckily. If they try and take me down, I know what I am doing. Hence the reason I recommend Judo (or BJJ if you want). I am not talking about fighting one guy on the floor while his friends are kicking me in the head; that is stupid. I am taking about getting that guy of me so I can deal with the others.

I would not even use juji gatame on Johnny-no-mate on the booze, I would be turning him over and pin him in the "regular" method, face down. If I had to use the juji gatame, it would be to pop the elbow nice and quick; then I would deal with other opponents without needing to worry about the guy on the floor.

Regards,

Graham Wild