View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #159
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu *not vs* Aikido

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote: View Post
In terms of return on training time investment, BJJ is one of the best ROI's there is. With regular training over 3-6 months you can have a *significant* advantage over others on the ground. Watch the early ufcs - it wasn't just the guys fighting Royce that went to the ground, almost everyone did. It's a *very* common occurrance in fights even if no one plans to go there. If self defence is what you are after you *must* have a ground strategy. The good news is it doesn't take very long to get there.
Well
My point is not that BJJ is not useful or efficient. In fact I believe that if you already know BJJ. It will help you a lot in self defence.
But there is no denying that BJJ or ground work in general is designed to be use against a single opponent, usually in booting conditions.
Here we are talking about ground work in the context of self defence.

My point is that if it self defence you are after, it is not necessarily the thing you want to spend time in. and not practicing a ground game is not equivalent to not have a ground strategy. Look at MMA matches nowadays, some never go to the ground some do.

As you have my notice my answer was two fold.
There are case where I said that yes ground skills are very important it is, and others where I said it was not worth the effort.

In what self defence situation will we use our ground skill exactly?

Obviously in cases that are close to booting match or when we are sure that there only one opponent.

But in a multiple attacker, going to the ground willingly is not a sensible course of action.
And being taken to the ground is going to be your undoing, regardless how good you are on the ground.
yes there is case where you know that help is at hand or if you ground game is much better than your opponent (if you are a proper BJJ guy) you will be able to delay the other opponents enough for help to come and or set up a verbal/psychological fence.
But in that case you need more than 6 month in BJJ and or have help handy.

And according to the part of the world you living in, fighting against a single opponent can be inexistent or relatively common (all that pondered by your occupation).

You can not make a rule about self-defence
If facing several opponents is the most common encounter. It makes more sense to work on defence against being taken down (or the escape to get up that Larry mentioned) than working on what to do when you are on the floor.

If we take graham kote geishi followed by juji gatame, it is a very sound combination, it works well it is easy to apply.
That does not prevent it to be a bad idea if the person you are doing it has friends with him and you don't.
And the above is not excluding the very same technique being a good idea if graham is dealing with Johnny-no-mate on the booze.

phil

One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.