Thread: The Leather Man
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 02:35 PM   #43
Lee Salzman
Re: The Leather Man

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
What I meant to say was that we have to learn to coordinate the various systems of muscle, fascia, bone, blood and breath (among others) to get the best results. The only reason I isolate the fascia here is to clarify what's being discussed so that we can discuss more clearly how the functions of the fascia influence the other systems, giving us a better idea of how even to attempt to coordinate the systems.
But there's the question gnawing at my monkey brain... How long has this fascia idea been pushed... a year? For well over a year I would say, if not more. How much practical enlightenment has come of that?

The methods for training coordinated strength should be right there, and self-evident, without needing to talk about fascia or qi or ki to use them, or even know about them.

Moreover, if the reasoning behind these exercises is understood and quantifiable, in a way that is not entirely dependent on the practicioner's subjective reasoning so he can't just go on deluding himself ("Hmm, it feels like I might be doing X, and I've been practicing X for so long, that I must be doing it!"), or instead of searching for subjective floating feelings in your body, asking, "Can I hit a lot harder than I used to? Do the people I hit describe it as more like getting struck by lightning or hit by a freight train, or by more like an ineffective tap?". The exercises necessary to practice them should be self-evident, at least in an, "Oh duh, that's how!" sense. If you can measure it, and you can reduce the circumstances enough to where problems can be worked on, then you can practice it.

But this empirical flavor is missing from the "fascia" idea. So how is it an advancement over simply saying "ki" or "qi"?

Last edited by Lee Salzman : 07-31-2007 at 02:41 PM.