View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
MM
United_States
Re: Training .... when you are not training

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
a nice collection of quotes, but I'd like to hear YOUR point behind them.
If someone is asking about Modern aikido, then train in the dojo under those methods. If it's Tohei's aikido, you have his exercises. If it's Kisshomaru's aikido, there are any number of dojos that have different methods. But, don't fool yourself into believing that you are doing Morihei Ueshiba's aikido if you're training in most Modern aikido.

If anyone wants to argue that point, then they are not only arguing with the people from my previous post but with Stan Pranin and a host of others.

Quote:
Stan Pranin wrote:
While Doshu is indeed the "Leader of the Way," I consider his role primarily organizational and symbolic rather than technical.

The view that aikido techniques are preserved just as the founder created them at the Hombu Dojo is completely untenable. Vast differences can even be seen in the curriculum today compared with that of thirty years ago in the books published by Doshu and Koichi Tohei Sensei. The number of techniques taught has been greatly reduced and big, flowing movements have been introduced. Did anyone ever see O-Sensei perform iriminage the way it is commonly executed today? This is not to say that any one way of practicing or one type of technique is better than another. But it is clear that both the practice and techniques have undergone great transformations over the years.