View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #88
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Need some advice.

We must all take some responsibility for the outcome of our actions. Nothing bad has ever happened to me that I didn't have some hand in to a greater or lesser degree. But to expect that anyone, including a young woman, will perceive every possible danger and prepare for it is hogwash.

I am reminded of a homicide my detectives worked one Christmas season. The victim was shopping in a mall in the Sacramento area and was walking to her car in broad daylight. Sbe placed her packages in the trunk of her vehicle and walked to the driver's side to get in. An "unoccupied" van was parked two spaces (as I recall) from the driver's side of her car. As she opened the door, she was blitzed by one of the suspects and dragged into the van which sped off.

The suspects drove south on Interstate 5 and took turns raping and beating the victim and even buying gasoline with her credit card. They eventually arrived in the El Centro area and threw her alive in an irrigation canal, bound with duct tape and left to drown. We found her body the following day and then found her car in the Phoenix area about a week later. Both suspects have been tried and convicted.

My whole point in this horrible story is that the victim did all the things we advise people to do and was careful and aware of her surroundings. She did nothing wrong and still ended up dead. I used to refer to her as the purest homicide victim I'd ever dealt with. No booze, no drugs, no promescruity, no bad companions - nothing. Tragic.

Once the story became widely known, I'm sure many rethought how they did normal things in life. Why should any segment of our society live in fear? Maybe AnonAikidoka will share her story with others on a more personal level that she has here and help protect her friends, relatives and associates. That might prove helpful to them and even prove helpful to her, but when all is said and done, she was victimized by someone more skilled and experienced that she. Did she make a mistake? Sure she did - she behaved normally with a friend and was taken advantage of. She should always stay home barricaded with her pack of attack dogs and her trusty AK-47 across her lap.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."