View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 07:58 AM   #11
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: E-budo site attacked/hacked?

Hello Fred,

Well, I woke up this morning and went through my usual routine over breakfast, which is to check posts on my own e-mail files, Aiki-web, E-Budo, and Aikido Journal, in that order. I accessed E-Budo to check on posts in the Aikido and Japanese Language forums, of which I am moderator, and saw nothing amiss on E-Budo, other than a thread about E-Budo being hacked.

However, as Chuck Gordon has indicated, at present I can no longer access E-Budo forums, so have no idea about what has happened.

To respond to your post, there are two moderators for the Aikido forum and a browse through previous discussions will indicate why this is so. Tony Manifold and I have never met each other and we operate quite independently. I am sure that Tony's ideas and mine about the martials arts & aikido are different, but I cannot think of a case so far when we have disagreed about moderating procedure.

Secondly, I will meet Jun Akiyama in Hiroshima next weekend and we will travel to Himeji to meet Peter Rehse. So there will be much discussion about aikido and I hope that web discussion forums\and their moderation\will figure in the discussion at some point.

Jun Akiyama and Stan Pranin moderate their respective forums with an extremely light touch\hardly at all. E-Budo is more heavy-handed by comparison. On the other hand, it is instructive to see how the three forums dealt with Shaun Ravens' recent posts on copyright. Jun locked the forum, but kept it open for people to read. Stan removed it completely. I decided to leave it open and monitor it. Eventually Tony Manifold put it in the Bad Budo section, where it still remains, open and available for additional postings.

There was much private e-mail discussion about the issue as well, but I feel that the way it was handled at E-Budo was basically correct and is evidence of your assertion that E-Budo allows for a wider range of input than some other discussion forums\which also attracts those whose grasp on reality, shall we say, is less secure .

Best regards,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 03-05-2005 at 08:05 AM.

P A Goldsbury