Old 01-27-2005, 06:03 AM   #306
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Aikido Frauds

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
Dear John,

I have been watching from the sidelines and I think that what you are doing is very valuable and I think it is something that the IAF should consider using. I have a few other thoughts.

I think that to put shihans and senseis in the same category is to compare apples and oranges. In other words, all shihans are senseis but not all senseis are shihans. 'Sensei' is a general title that applies to all teachers from O Sensei downwards, but shihan is something more specific. Thus, I think it is incorrect to refer to yourself as Sensei Riggs on your web site. A sensei NEVER uses the title to refer to himself/herself, and the title usually follows the name; it does not precede it. I think Dr John Riggs would be perfectly acceptable as your aikido title on your web site.

Best regards,
Peter, thanks for your comments. I had used the Dr. John Riggs before and several people suggesting taking it out as it was not an aikido title. Is it appropriate to refer to my assistant instructors as sensei?

On the shihan/sensei issue are your referring to the lineage chart? If so, how would you suggest doing it? I am trying to reflect a lineage in each group I studied under. My thought was to organize by heirarchial rank- O'Sensei, doshus, shihans, senseis.

Thank you on the comments of this being valuable. My thoughts are if you have nothing to hide throw it out there.