View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #27
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: How does this Square, Circle, Triangle relate to Aikido?

Quote:
Larry Novick wrote: View Post
Hi George - respectfully, I disagree in this particular case, because I feel that the above information is simply an interpretation, and in my world, inaccurate. I don't care how much it is shrouded in language and mysticism, what is described, for me, doesn't work.

It is very important, as you say, to be aware of the past, so to speak, but when it comes to something like Aikido, Shinto, and spiritual matters, for the most part they are very open to interpretation, and frankly, I trust myself and my life-long experience and involvement more than I trust most other people. In the end, it is philosophy when it is explained, and tricky at best. I have a huge personal history in spirituality, Shamanism, which is what Shinto is at it's heart, and Aikido, and I do not feel that I or anyone else has the patent on any of it, certainly not where I disagree with what is being expoused as "the truth." One can throw around all the Japanese terms one wants to, it doesn't make it any more real. Or sophisticated. Often, it is inflation and obfuscation.

end rant. :-)
My own experience is, in the end paramount. It is all "inflation and obfuscation" if I can't reality it to some reality of my own. But my starting point is always to look at what has come before and try to understand it. You have thousands of years of development by people on the spiritual quest. There were people who spent every minute of their entire lives working on spiritual matters. That's where all this stuff came from. To ignore it or throw it out because initially I don't understand it, or it seems removed from my experience in the white bread, middle class suburbs of America seems to me the height of arrogance. What are the chances that, I am likely to rediscover, on my own, things that generations of teachers and students took to discover? I look to them first. By doing so it directs my attention towards what I might have missed if I hadn't already been looking. Then, it's all about my own practice and making the knowledge my own, not just something I read somewhere.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com