View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #19
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: Where can I find a dojo with an Shihan Instructor?

Dear John,

There are several Aikido groups in the Chicago area affiliated with various shihan. If you are near Beecher, Illinois (near Lenox) 704 Dixie Highway, Beecher IL 60401 (phone 708-946-6614) a friend from the Wisconsin summer camp in the late 1970's Wendy Whited is teaching there. She was promoted to sixth dan by
Saotome Sensei in 1999. On her website for "Inaka (Country) Dojo" ..... on a road that goes through cornfields...... I found that she is a teacher by profession. She has background in other martial arts also, Iaido, Judo and Shorei Ryu Karate ....

Florida has dojo of the ASU and the USAF affiliations so once you get there there are seminars .... The USAF Annual Seminar usually held in Nov or Dec has Yamada Sensei and other Shihans attending , hosted by Florida Aikikai on the east coast of Florida... and the Orlando dojo Shindai Aikikai affiliated with ASU also has seminars .....John Messores was one of Saotome Sensei's original students in Sarasota if you go on the ASU website you can find where he is teaching or ask the Orlando people....

I'm sure all of us who have posted on this thread will be interested to know where you visit and where you continue your training both in Illinois and Florida ....

sincerely, Daian from Connecticut