View Single Post
Old 10-30-2001, 08:30 AM   #6
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Re: is aikido really practical

Quote:
Originally posted by ivan
i found out that aikido empahsis on counters graps and hold..rite?
But little is too done to punches and kicks.?
In a reaL fight who will hold ur arm rather than smashing ur nose in?
If you enjoy mauy thai and it works for you then you should by all means continue studying that art.

That said, a few comments:

o Someone's aikido out there might be passive, but the aikido I study certainly is not. Our philosophy is to always try to dictate. We do this by playing on whatever inclination it is that the other guy demonstrates.

o In mathematics, one studies elementary algebra before one studies the multivariate calculus. This is not arbitrary, there is a good reason for it. In aikido, many schools training method begins with grabs of various kinds. The teacher is generally someone with years of experience and well-developed ideas about how their system of aikido should be taught. Without an equivalent number of years of training in aikido or a related art, why do you automatically assume that they don't know what they're doing? Do you believe that there is a secret rite that aikido teachers go through that robs them of their ability to think?

o No art covers everything. You practice mauy thai, I take it. What does your art teach you to do when someone takes you to the ground and ties you up in cross-body ride? What does it teach you to do when they are attacking you with an oblique attack with a two-foot section of iron pipe? What about when they have a knife and are making repeated thrusts at your midsection?

No slams here. I just want to provoke some thought.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings