View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 10:48 AM   #20
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom
Re: creation of new techniques

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Can you tell me what you base this (run on) sentence on? You say he was never "in the box"...can you clarify what you mean by that, and in what way he was different from the clarification? As far as I've read, he had a teacher (a notoriously strict one) and studied what that teacher presented to him assiduoulsy for at least 5 years. Even living with the teacher for a time, in more than one place. Budo was what he devoted himself to, and he wasn't 15 either. And that wasn't the first martial art he'd studied, more like the 3rd...again, not much like our eager young beaver above at all.
I've not got time to mooch through books at the moment I'd have a look later if this doesn't answer your question.
When I say he was never in the box I was refering to the fact that he had at least one very strict teacher, presumably the others weren't exactly easy going and yet at the end of it all he comes out with something new, Aikido. Now from what I've read it's not surprising that someone as spirtual and as dedicated to budo as Ueshiba was could have just suddently decided over night that he'd go off in a new and radical direction, he must have been mulling the idea over for decades potentially. So all through that strict training the nucleus of the philosophy that became Aikido must have been there, maybe even as far back as age 15.
I wasn't saying that our young friend is another Ueshiba yet or that it's certain he ever will be. I was just pointing out that his attitude of curiousity and experimentation rather than being a negative thing is actually quite healthy. That's not to say he shouldn't study diligently in a more conventional sence like other Aikidoka, I'm saying the combination of the two could end up making him something a bit special in the long run. He is only 15 after all, I'm sure if Ueshiba had of spouted off that he was going to create a Budo based on harmony and love at 15 he'd of recived a few weird comments.

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Contradicting who? Ueshiba Sensei? The poster above? I'll have to re-read the thread...I don't see what you are talking about. I see experienced people kindly letting a relatively young, inexperienced person know some things that might help him. I see no supposed superiority...it is just a simple fact that someone who has been training 10 years (regardless of rank), in more than one art, who is 30 to 45, would be a worthy person to listen to if you are 15, and new to an art. No big deal though...this won't be the first time someone young ignores advice from an elder, and it won't be the last. Chances are, our young friend will survive and learn on his own quite well in the long run.

Best,
Ron
I said at the begining of my post it's obvious to pretty much everyone which was a polite way of excluding everyone except the post I was aiming at which reminds me a little too much of some of the attitudes I have to put up with in my training. Should have been more specific there, my fault.