View Single Post
Old 10-31-2006, 09:57 AM   #18
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: creation of new techniques

Quote:
It's not like Ueshiba formulated Aikido because he studied hard and then started thinking outside of the box, he was never inside the box in the first place, he had that rare quality, the ability to wonder "what if?" and I don't mean the "Yeah, but he could just do this" kind of what if I mean the kind of what if that comes with a desire to understand and improve.
Can you tell me what you base this (run on) sentence on? You say he was never "in the box"...can you clarify what you mean by that, and in what way he was different from the clarification? As far as I've read, he had a teacher (a notoriously strict one) and studied what that teacher presented to him assiduoulsy for at least 5 years. Even living with the teacher for a time, in more than one place. Budo was what he devoted himself to, and he wasn't 15 either. And that wasn't the first martial art he'd studied, more like the 3rd...again, not much like our eager young beaver above at all.

Quote:
Aikidoka could learn a lot from O-Sensei. Which should be something taken for granted really but I'm amazed at just how many people, high ranked people, will assert their supposed superiority over lower grades by contradicting him.
Contradicting who? Ueshiba Sensei? The poster above? I'll have to re-read the thread...I don't see what you are talking about. I see experienced people kindly letting a relatively young, inexperienced person know some things that might help him. I see no supposed superiority...it is just a simple fact that someone who has been training 10 years (regardless of rank), in more than one art, who is 30 to 45, would be a worthy person to listen to if you are 15, and new to an art. No big deal though...this won't be the first time someone young ignores advice from an elder, and it won't be the last. Chances are, our young friend will survive and learn on his own quite well in the long run.

Best,
Ron

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 10-31-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)