View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 07:11 AM   #37
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Controlling balance of attacker

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
My comment regarding timing discussion in the context of unbalancing is that I'm working hard to improve it but it is far from decisive elements. I was a big fan of timing years ago. There are also styles aikido who base entirely their techniques only on the right timing.

What I discovered, that when I'm weak, sick, injured, tired, out of shape, very old etc my capacity of producing exact timing diminish drastically. So if the success of unbalancing depends only of right timing, under heavy circumstances I'll be always helpless. I need my gross motor skills be very well trained to not depend only on those very sophisticated ones.
I have a big issue with timing from a realistic standpoint. One of the problems I have with TMAs in general is they are typcially practiced from a postion of prior knowledge and parity. That is, both uke and nage have equal balance and knowledge and begin the "fight" with one trying to off balance the other. The issue with this is that timing becomes a huge focus.

In reality, when dealing with Hand 2 Hand situations, someone is at a disadvantage. That is, someone has structure and the other person does not. So, if you are trying to get balance or kuzushi then it means that you don't have structure and the other person does.

So, the issue for me is a two part problem: "how do you gain back your structure when you don't have it" and Second, "then how do you take his".

Timing cannot play a big part in this equation because it is very tight and it really becomes about structure. So, first, I must gain integrity in myself, then I can worry about taking his structure.

There are alot of different mechanics that go into it, but simply there are two body crosses and a head. The lower cross at the hips and the upper cross at the shoulders, and then we have the head on the spine and were the head goes, the body must follow. Working in various planes and positions to break his spinal alignment is key. You can do this through Atemi as well.

I won't really get into the mechanics and techniques as it is much too complicated of a conversation to go into to try and discuss over the internet.