Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
S Ellis

Dojo: ASU of Sarasota
United_States
Re: The Problem with Being a Big Guy

Ahmad, thank you for taking the time to post

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
A good way to do it will be to do both the flowy and the hard way. In this fashion you can see the difference. If you're going against a strong guy, doing it the hard way may not be as effective as you wish. Neither is avoidance (aka soft and flowy for some).
My technique feels wretched when I try to force it. I am strong enough to break balance, but after that I am not sure I am doing Aikido any more. I become a human bumper car.

Quote:
Ahmad Abas wrote: View Post
Atemi is interesting though. Atemi is used not as a back up plan really. Atemi should be already part of the technique even though it is not applied physically. Using it physically is a question of choice in context of the contact made with uke. The rule is, if nage chooses to strike (as in back up atemi), uke can too. Think about it... uke strikes, nage tries something and err 'tries' to strike back, uke sees the strike and strikes again.
Someday, I hope to be there, but I do not see the openings for atemi as other more experience practitioners of the art do yet. I am still in the stage of trying to figure out how they manipulated me to the place I am. I love when I am working with people who will show me reversals, but very few have sunk into my thick skull yet. Oh well, someday.