View Single Post
Old 12-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Ellis Amdur

Re: Ueno Chimp Rolls

The main idea is that one shouldn't roll over a joint, so that, even momentarily, the body weight goes directly thru either the rotator cuff or the hip. Therefore, one rolls from shoulder blade across in a shallower diagonal thru small of back.
This is the track of a roll in both judo and sumo, btw. It does not make one any less "ready" - one can stand up whether the leg is tucked or not.
In judo, one extends both legs - not total extension, btw - because one is usually taking a breakfall, on a flat surface
In sumo, one tucks the legs, much like aikido, because one is very likely going to fall across the raised rope at the edge of the ring - which is about 6-8 inches high - you could break a shin if you came down hard in a judo ukemi.
In either case, however, the track across the torso is the same - and I believe it should be in aikido as well.
Among my judoka friends, the only complaints regarding shoulder injuries are a) if one took BAD ukemi, took a makikomi fall or got pile-driven - in other words, one inescapably fell on the shoulder b) cranked too hard in a lock. But I never heard people complaining about chronic shoulder problems due to rolling, which is quite common in aikido.
Aikidoka have simply been taught wrong. It looks good to fall with the fingers in line with the lead foot toe - one goes in a big arch like a hoop. And if you are a young person - with significant athletic talent and thick flexible tendons - you'll have no trouble. But if you are not that - welcome to chronic, unnecessary injuries. Hence, Ukemi from the Ground Up. It is not a pretty ukemi - but it should keep you safe at just about any age or physical condition.
Once one has mastered the basics and really wants to get into the art of aikido ukemi at the highest level, then I'd go to Bruce Bookman's Ukemi: The Art of Falling (and a 2nd advanced video) are fantastic.